Here’s how you put together a viking costume:
Ages: Baby and toddler
Sewing needed: Little to none
1. Color: Choose a color scheme for your costume that you’ll use throughout. We chose light brownish colors, but black and grey can work just as well.
2. Base layers: A onesie and stockings or tights based on your color scheme. Brown, beige, grey or black.
3. The helmet: History shows that vikings actually didn’t wear horned helmets, but we don’t mind that. The horns have come to be associated with vikings, and we think they are super cute on a baby. We found our helmet on Etsy and chose one with golden pig tails since we have a girl. But the variety for boys and girls is plenty.
4. The vest: We live in a chilly area for Halloween, the vest provided extra heat, and really added some umpf to the costume. We selected one from Koala kids, but any fake fur baby vest in brownish, black, grey, white, colors will work.
5. The fur pants: These were not really pants. We just took some fake fur arm/hand warmers and pulled them on each leg. Ours came with string attached. If you can’t find any with string, then buy some string and sew it on to the top. The string ties down the leg, tie at bottom and they’ll allow for the leg warmers to stay on better. Finding these can be a bit difficult. We just happened to have some lying around. So, if you can’t find any, they are easy to make. Just buy some fake fur at an arts and crafts store. Cut two squares that fit the length of type child’s legs. Sow them together, add the string and voila, they are done.
6. The boots: Again, look for any fake fur booties. The string from the leg warmers can tie over the boots to help them stay on better. If you have an older walking child, you can just use their regular boots and tie the leg warmers completely over them. We selected these for our 9 month old baby.
And there you have it, the cutest viking costume. Now your kiddo is ready to go trick or treating.
We're giving away original designs and compositions for our popular Nordic Halloween costumes. Join our mailing list to access the free content, and never miss another update from us.